Sunday, March 23, 2008

Who's the Tolerant One Now?

PZ Meyers, noted atheist and opponent of ID, was not allowed to attend a screening of Expelled, a film about the wonders of creationism.

I went to attend a screening of the creationist propaganda movie, Expelled, a few minutes ago. Well, I tried … but I was Expelled! It was kind of weird — I was standing in line, hadn't even gotten to the point where I had to sign in and show ID, and a policeman pulled me out of line and told me I could not go in. I asked why, of course, and he said that a producer of the film had specifically instructed him that I was not to be allowed to attend. The officer also told me that if I tried to go in, I would be arrested. I assured him that I wasn't going to cause any trouble.


Meyers was even interviewed for the movie. Even better, though, is that he was going with Richard Dawkins, another very vocal opponent of ID, who was allowed to go in.. They didn't recognize him apparently.

Still, though, if you want to be taken seriously on a topic, you need to be willing to debate people who disagree with you. If you can't, you just look scared. Unfortunately, far too many proponents of ID and Young Earth Creationism do not feel a need to take on their critics because "God is on their side." These people always bring to mind this great picture:

No comments: