Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lost Highway

I got to Salt Lake City about 45 minutes ago without a glitch. It was a long flight even if the clocks don't show it because of the time change. Having two bickering, disorganized parents with a loud two-year-old behind me wasn't the most exciting thing to have on the flight, but I tuned them out for the most part.

I finished the book I started on my first flight, The Ruins. It was good, if not great. The atmosphere was intense and the author keeps you on the edge of your seat. What kept it from being great, I think, was the characters. Too many of them came off as more annoying than sympathetic. They seemed like normal humans and I can see people acting the way they did in the situation they were in. Still a few of them were annoying. It's hard to get into a character and feel invested in them when you find yourself thinking, "Shut up, you whiny prick." I'd still recommend it, though, for anyone needing a light read. The setting, the story, and the atmosphere were all quite good.

My last flight, the one to Billings, leaves in just under two hours and I'll be home 90 minutes after that. I heard it's snowing there. Maybe it's my bad karma, but I can't help but think that it is officially spring and we have global warming so why is it snowing in Billings? Can't the snow stay up in Canada, yah?

No comments: