Thursday, November 1, 2007

Holding Out For a Hero

Jeromy writes about being tested or finding your "Goliath moment" on his blog.

I think at some level we all seek a “goliath” moment. The untried person carries a nagging question about how he will respond in a moment of clear conviction. To be placed in an insurmountable situation, have the courage to face it, and by grace, overcome, is the heart's desire. In my own life, I inwardly long for just such a challenge- not for the challenge itself, but for the transformation that results, as in David’s life.


I know that ever since I was little I have had this desire, although mine has been in the framework of reading Lord of the Rings, watching Star Trek and Star Wars. I have always had a burning desire to be a hero, to find myself suddenly faced with a situation of insurmountable odds, of desperate times, where everything hangs on a knife's edge. I want to face that situation and rise above it to become a hero.

Unfortunately, things like that really only happen in stories. Most heroes only get their status after a lifetime of serving people and doing small things that add up to something big. It's very noble and admirable. It's also not the romantic story-book stuff I have always wanted to be a part of. Ah, well. You can't always get what you want.

No comments: