Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Shock to the System

Britains are concerned about the spread of Tasers amongst their law enforcement officers. Here in America, Tasers are becoming very widespread amongst police and security forces. Our cultures are quite different when it comes to weapons, though, and I can see where the Taser would be a tougher sell there. It is an excellent tool, but it is easily abused and training needs to be rigorous and thorough for anyone carrying one.

As I wrote a few months back, I did get certified to carry a Taser since I occasionally pick up relief shifts for the security department at my hospital. Getting certified did include getting getting shot with the probes and taking the full five-second ride. I even have it on video.



Yes it is the most painful thing I have ever done. I will certainly be very cognizant of what will happen if I make the decision to draw and employ it.

And, though it is not funny if the Taser needs to be used in the course of the job, it can be very amusing to watch people volunteer to take a hit with it. More amusing than my jolt in the video above is this tough guy's valiant attempt to shotgun a beer before the Taser knocks him down. Comedy gold.

No comments: