Sunday, September 2, 2007

Religion vs. Science

It baffles me at times that people can so vigorously attack science because it doesn't jive with their religious beliefs. Michael Lemonick, science writer for Time, recently had a post on his blog about some recent fossil discoveries and what they may mean for our current understanding of evolution. It is not an earth-shattering discovery, but one that could mean a minor revision of the time line we have now. Of course this brings out the creationists in force. How people can be so ignorant in this day and age is perhaps something I will never completely understand. These people are no different from those who excommunicated Galileo for his heathen beliefs. In fact I'm reminded of the people in the following video. They both have about the same level of understanding of science.



There doesn't need to be a divide between science and religion. I happen to believe in God. I also believe that science is a wonderful tool for understanding this incredible world God has created. Most scientists will tell you they do not have all of the answers and are not trying to disprove the existence of God. I'm sure that dealing with some of these rabid fanatics makes them wish they could, though. Hell, I almost wish I could just to see the look on their faces, but, then I am feeling spiteful today.

No comments: