Monday, September 3, 2007

Oh, the Drama...

Sometimes I almost feel like I'm drafting a soap opera when I'm writing about personal matters especially when it comes to dating. I suppose that's half the fun, though, right?

I went out with Katie Joy on Saturday. As I wrote before going to a movie turned into going to church, dinner and then the movie. Services started at 4:30, so I picked her up a few minutes after 4. She goes to Faith Chapel, a Four Square church and the largest church in town. There was upwards of 1000 people at the service we attended and construction is being done on a massive new worship center. I knew what to expect and I'll post more thoughts on the service and church in another post (especially since I went to another not so dissimilar church the next day), but suffice to say for now that I was completely disengaged on the level of worship and coming to know God. My interest during the service was focused on studying the church. What does the church look like? What sort of sermon does the pastor give? What kind of words does he use? What is the music like? It's one thing to read about these things, but it is another thing to actually be there. On that level, it was quite fascinating.

Her parents and siblings were there. I met them all on my first date with Katie Joy, but I wasn't expecting them to be there. Not only that, but she said her parents were going out to dinner after the service and she wanted to join them. With a silent groan, I said "okay" and we met them at JBs, a quiet little restaurant that I remember visiting frequently while young (often after church), but have visited maybe once in the last six or seven years. Katie Joy's siblings also came, but her sister left before too long to meet some friends.

This is the first time I have interacted much with her family. Her brother, Jeremy is a snot-nosed brat. If his parents hadn't been there, I likely would have punched him in the face. I kept telling myself that he is only fifteen, but still, a sound beating would do wonders for him. Her mother, Connie, is very nice. She seems to be a simple, quiet woman. Her father, Curt, was also nice and seemed intelligent. Somehow politics came up. How politics came up at my first dinner with her parents is beyond me, but I was sweating a bit. Katie Joy mentioned that September 2 was the anniversary of the longest filibuster in Senate history. In response to his questions, I was trying to explain to Jeremy what a filibuster was, who Strom Thurmond was, and why he was filibustering. Curt was quick to jump in a make a comment about Democrats also being racist and not supporting legislation for desegregation. I didn't know what to say for a second. I had not mentioned anything about conservatives, liberals, Republicans, Democrats, left, or right. I just said that Mr. Thurmond supported segregation and was trying to stop the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Thankfully it didn't go anywhere else. I enjoy talking about politics, but I didn't feel like getting into an argument with Katie Joy's father about it.

Next, we were off to the movie. We had decided to see Becoming Jane, a story about Jane Austen that attempts to fill in some blanks in her life. It was a very good movie. In the row in front of us was one of those people that feels a need to talk to the movie. At one point he hollered, "Make your move!" and it was all I could do not to laugh uncontrollably. Even more amusing later in the movie was a shout about "Germans." There was lots of muttering throughout, but those were the two funniest moments.

The crazy old man was not the only amusement during the movie. Part way through, I casually reach my hand over to hers and start to hold it. She giggles, pulls away, and whispers, "What are you doing?" If we hadn't been sitting in a movie theater, I would have said, "What the hell do you think I'm doing?" As it was, I just smiled and continued watching the movie. I couldn't help but think of Top Gun and Slider's remark, "Crash and burn, eh, Mav?" I didn't think holding hands on our third date was rushing things, but what do I know?

After the movie, I dropped her off at her car which was outside of the place she works. She said she had a good time and drove off. I had a good time, too, although I'm not sure if our relationship is going to go anywhere. No, not because she wouldn't let me hold her hand, but because I'm not sure we have similar visions for our futures. Maybe I'm wrong; I don't know. It's just a feeling.

2 comments:

Shawna Noble: said...

Drama Drama Drama it sounds to me like she might be too much work. Ditch her now before you get those feelings.

Captain Noble said...

Yeah, as if any woman doesn't require a lot of work. And I don't know what these "feelings" are that you speak of. I have no need of such.