Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Business Venture

After giving it a lot of thought, I have decided to start my own computer business. I have had a few opportunities arise in the last few weeks and I am going to capitalize on them.

My good friend, Jeromy works for an organization called Peacemaker Ministries which helps people with Christian-based conflict resolution. He approached me about hiring me to build a donor database for his company.

At the hospital I work at, St. Vincent Healthcare, I have built a database for our security department to keep track of daily incidents. I would like to do more with it, but much of it has been on my own time. Two women from our Performance Excellence (aside - who comes up with these names?) met with the security director about Joint Commission requirements. He showed them the database I created and they really liked it so they wanted to meet with me and see what else I could do with it. Everything they wanted is stuff that I already had on my list of things to do, but since I do it on my own time, it is slow going. However, I know that if I have my own business, I can talk to the security director about hiring me and paying me for my work.

I also have a lot of experience helping people troubleshoot computer problems and training people in computer use. All that said, I am going to start a business geared toward home computer setup and repair, database development, and training. I could use a few extra dollars for bills and credit cards not to mention helping my mother keep her house.

Thinking of a name has been the hardest part. "Noble Computing Solutions" is the only one I have sort of liked so far, but I'm not completely sold on it.

No comments: