Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tax Season

I e-filed my taxes earlier this evening. We'll see if it gets rejected like it did last year forcing me to do it on paper or if it will go through.

Last year the IRS rejected my return saying that one of my dependents, my oldest daughter, was claimed on someone else's return. When I called to find out what I had to do, I was told to submit it on paper. I did and got my return and forgot about the whole thing.

That is until a few months later when I got a letter from the IRS. Since one of my dependents was claimed on another return, I had to submit proof that I was allowed to claim Erica. I knew exactly who had claimed her, of course. I called her and asked her about it. She told me her tax preparer told her she could her even though our divorce agreement said that I wold claim Erica and she would claim Shaena. I sent a letter back to the IRS and a copy of our divorce agreement. I never heard back from them. I also never heard exactly what happened to my ex over this.

This weekend, the issue of money came up with my daughters and Erica told me something interesting. She said that their mother told them the "guy who did [our] divorce" screwed up. I asked her how and she said that their mother told them she was supposed to be able to claim both of them on her returns. Yeah. She looked it over and signed it. She knew exactly what it said.

Of course, she has also been telling the girls that I have not been paying any of their medical bills which is an outright lie, but that's another post.

No comments: