Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Obama and Hubris

The arrogant moniker has been thrown at Obama frequently and now some are marveling at his hubris. As a firm Obama supporter, I am under no illusions about Obama's opinion of himself. However, I think the people leveling this charge seem to forget that it is practically a requirement of the job to think you are a cut above the rest. The people who run for President are attempting to become the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth. This is not typically the type of job aspired to by people who say, "Aw, shucks, little old me? I guess I'm an all right guy, nothing special, though." Snort. They may attempt to put on this air in order to seem "one of the guys," but in reality every one of them is thinking, "I am better than the schmo next to me and I expect the people to recognize that even if I have to draw it for 'em in crayon."

Would it be better to have leaders full of humility? Probably, but until humans are much different than they are now, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

No comments: