Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Obama on Abortion

Jeromy over at Seeking Goliath has been critical of Obama for supporting abortion as has Rod Dreher. This is, of course, a completely understandable position. I find abortion abhorrent and wish it did not happen at all. How can I support Obama then? Well, I'm not a single-issue voter (not that Jeromy or Rod are) and Obama does not come off as fanatically devoted to the pro-choice position as so many do. Check out a post from Andrew Sullivan today highlighting a speech Obama gave on the issue some time back. Here's the end:

It is people like him who are looking for a deeper, fuller conversation about religion in this country. They may not change their positions, but they are willing to listen and learn from those who are willing to speak in fair-minded words. Those who know of the central and awesome place that God holds in the lives of so many, and who refuse to treat faith as simply another political issue with which to score points.

So I wrote back to the doctor, and I thanked him for his advice. The next day, I circulated the email to my staff and changed the language on my website to state in clear but simple terms my pro-choice position. And that night, before I went to bed, I said a prayer of my own - a prayer that I might extend the same presumption of good faith to others that the doctor had extended to me.

And that night, before I went to bed I said a prayer of my own. It's a prayer I think I share with a lot of Americans. A hope that we can live with one another in a way that reconciles the beliefs of each with the good of all. It's a prayer worth praying, and a conversation worth having in this country in the months and years to come. Thank you.


Obama comes across as a thoughtful, measured man. I can imagine him having a real debate with someone, not one of ad hominem attacks or straw man arguments, but a respectful dialogue. Can you imagine Clinton doing this? McCain? I can't. Obama certainly has principles, but they do not seem to be held onto blindly. He thinks about issues. Especially after the last seven years, this seems like one of the best traits our President could have.

No comments: