Sunday, September 30, 2007

Burgeoning Entrepreneurs

Normally, I pick up my daughters after work on Friday, but last Friday I picked them up in the morning on my way to work. The volunteer department at the hospital was hosting a craft fair. The table fee goes to the volunteers who use the money for purchasing things around the hospital.

I signed up my daughter, Erica, for a table so she could sell her key chains. She has been bugging me for a year to let her sit in the front yard at my place and sell her wares, so this was a golden opportunity for her. Shaena sat with her and helped her. She sold her keychains for either $1 or 2$ depending on how much was involved in each one. By the end of the day, she made $31. She was so excited about the whole thing and she's already talking about the sale next year.

I didn't think her mother was going to let her go because it meant skipping school and she had been telling Erica for a few weeks she didn't think it was a good idea. I am surprised, actually, that in the end she permitted it. I'm very glad, though, because it was a wonderful experience for both of them. I got lots of compliments about how smart, polite, and cute they were which made me feel very proud.

No comments: