Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Fear Card


Dick Cheney just won't go away. He's making rounds criticizing Obama and playing the fear card, accusing him of making terrorist attacks more likely. This is beyond ludicrous. There is nothing wrong with offering critiques of the President's policies; that's what healthy democracy is all about. Trying to gin up fear, though, by saying stuff like, "President Obama campaigned against it all across the country, and now he is making some choices that, in my mind, will, in fact, raise the risk to the American people of another attack," is not cool at all. It crosses the line.

This is how the previous administration worked, of course, but I don't think I'm alone in having hoped that some of this (at least the same faces, anyway) would go away after January 20. Clearly that's not the case. I'm not sure what Cheney's game is here, either. He's not running for office again. He doesn't have a book coming out anytime soon that I know of. I wish he would just crawl back under the bridge he came from.

No comments: