Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hellfire and Damnation

I see I'm not the only one who has to deal with stuff like this. My daughters are much better about it than they used to be. There is a lot less tears and saying "You're going to hell" than there ever used to be. Still it is galling to me that my daughters (and other children) are being raised this way. It is psychologically traumatizing for a child to believe that one of their parents is destined for eternal torment. Not to mention that it can put a huge wedge in a relationship. Is that what Jesus would do?

2 comments:

Mamamull said...

While your daughters are only living their lives as they see fit - I do tell my kids not to address the atheism or different religiosity of relatives.

We just try live a positive example of what Christians should be - humble, kind, charitable, helpful, loving, etc.

Captain Noble said...

And there's the rub. I have no problem with different beliefs. I have a problem when people can't respect other people's right to different beliefs. It's bad enough when I see it in other people; it's hell (ha ha) when I have to deal with it from my daughters.